April 5, 2011

Oregon Law Requires Carbon Monoxide Alarms

As of April 1, 2011 the new carbon monoxide alarm law took effect. This new law could effect your Portland real estate transactions going forward.   If you have a Portland metro area home for sale with a carbon monoxide source, you need to have a carbon monoxide alarm installed before you can transfer title.
Here is the law as its is written
837-047-0120 - Carbon Monoxide Alarm Requirements
(1) Properly functioning carbon monoxide alarms shall be required when:
(a) A person conveys fee title to a one and two family dwelling or multifamily housing containing a carbon monoxide source on or after April 1, 2011; or
(b) A person transfers possession under a land sale contract of a one and two family dwelling or multifamily housing containing a carbon monoxide source on or after April 1, 2011; or
(c) A person transfers ownership of a manufactured dwelling containing a carbon monoxide source on or after April 1, 2011; or
(d) A landlord enters into a rental agreement for a dwelling unit containing a carbon monoxide source on or after July 1, 2010.
(2) By April 1, 2011, every rental dwelling unit subject to these rules must contain properly functioning carbon monoxide alarms.
 
What is carbon monoxide?
It is an invisible, odorless, colorless gas created when fuels, such as gasoline, wood, charcoal, coal, natural gas, propane, oil, kerosene, and methane burn incompletely.
Why is carbon monoxide harmful?
It displaces oxygen in the blood and deprives the heart, brain, and other vital organs of oxygen. The molecules attach to your red blood cells more easily than oxygen molecules, depriving oxygen from getting into the body. This may damage tissues and result in death. Especially at risk are: Unborn babies, infants, older adults, people who smoke & people with chronic heart disease, anemia, or respiratory problems
Where does carbon monoxide come from?
Carbon Monoxide comes from heaters, fireplaces, furnaces, appliances and cooking sources using coal, wood, petroleum products, and other fuels.  Products and equipment powered by an internal combustion engine, such as portable generators, cars, lawn mowers, and power washers also produce carbon monoxide. Car exhaust in an attached garage may leak carbon monoxide into the house even with the main garage door open, putting you at risk for carbon monoxide poisoning. Operating equipment inside an attached garage increases the risk of introducing of carbon monoxide into a living space. 
Why should my home have carbon monoxide alarms?
According to the Journal of the American Medical Association, approximately 2,100 people die from carbon monoxide poisoning every year in the United States. There are more than 10,000 injuries annually from carbon monoxide.

What are symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning?

Initial symptoms are similar to the flu, but without the fever: headache, fatigue, shortness of breath, nausea, dizziness, skin may turn bright red.
Severe symptoms include: confusion, vomiting, loss of consciousness or loss of muscular coordination.

 

 

 

 

Rich Peralta is a real estate professional in the Portland Metro Area,  Lake Oswego and  West Linn Real Estate.

He can be reached at 503.961.2181 or by e-mail at rich.peralta@exprealty.com

Contact him  for more information on Portland Real Estateand Lake Oswego Real Estate!

 

Also posted on Lake Oswego Real Estate.

 

To view Portland real estate listings, click on the map

 

Share This Post
Please enable Javascript to comment on this blog

Sites We Follow