It is an invisible, odorless, colorless gas created when fuels, such as gasoline, wood, charcoal, coal, natural gas, propane, oil, kerosene, and methane burn incompletely.
It displaces oxygen in the blood and deprives the heart, brain, and other vital organs of oxygen. The molecules attach to your red blood cells more easily than oxygen molecules, depriving oxygen from getting into the body. This may damage tissues and result in death. Especially at risk are: Unborn babies, infants, older adults, people who smoke & people with chronic heart disease, anemia, or respiratory problems
Carbon Monoxide comes from heaters, fireplaces, furnaces, appliances and cooking sources using coal, wood, petroleum products, and other fuels. Products and equipment powered by an internal combustion engine, such as portable generators, cars, lawn mowers, and power washers also produce carbon monoxide. Car exhaust in an attached garage may leak carbon monoxide into the house even with the main garage door open, putting you at risk for carbon monoxide poisoning. Operating equipment inside an attached garage increases the risk of introducing of carbon monoxide into a living space.
According to the Journal of the American Medical Association, approximately 2,100 people die from carbon monoxide poisoning every year in the United States. There are more than 10,000 injuries annually from carbon monoxide.
What are symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning?
Initial symptoms are similar to the flu, but without the fever: headache, fatigue, shortness of breath, nausea, dizziness, skin may turn bright red.
Severe symptoms include: confusion, vomiting, loss of consciousness or loss of muscular coordination.
He can be reached at 503.961.2181 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
Also posted on Lake Oswego Real Estate.